LSWorks: A new type of venture firm
LSWorks provides entrepreneurial support to scientists with transformational life science ideas, but we are not consultants. We make investments, but we are not a fund.
At LSWorks, we are entrepreneurs with management experience and capital available to build new companies. We work primarily with scientists who have developed novel ideas in biotech, medical devices and life science services that have the potential to satisfy an unmet medical need.
We take an active role working alongside founding scientists to accomplish the tasks necessary to commercialize their life sciences technology. These steps include:
- Establishing a new company
- Developing a plan to protect the novel intellectual property
- Licensing technology from an involved third party (such as a university)
- Designing and implementing a commercialization plan
- Providing seed capital
- Raising additional funds
- Hiring staff
- Overseeing legal work
- Negotiating with suppliers and customers
- Devising a comprehensive marketing strategy
- Putting in place critical business documents and systems
We typically invest $100,000 to $250,000 in a concept, or enough to validate the promise of a novel idea. Sometimes, we invest alongside angel investors and/or seed stage venture capital investors; other times, we invest alone.